In October of 1941, Kimberton Farms School was founded by Mrs. Virginia Birdsall and Mrs. Elisabeth Grunelius, and others. Mrs. Birdsall describes this as follows:
“Kimberton Farms Day and Boarding School for Boys and Girls was opened in October, 1941 by Mr. Myrin. During the preceding year he had enlarged and remodeled one of the old Dutch farmhouses on his property to serve as a schoolhouse and home for the teachers and resident pupils. In the spacious fields and pastures of Kimberton Farms the Bio-Dynamic methods of farming originated by Dr. Steiner were being developed on a large scale. A group of young men and women interested in this natural, organic method of cultivating the soil were living in a large farmhouse on the property. What more fitting home could be found in which little children could live and learn according to the new art of education which was one of Dr. Steiner’s many gifts to humanity!”
Kimberton Farms School graduates became known as balanced, possessing a sense of humor, a wide sense of leadership, and that they were often the most outstanding scholars.
During a recent Alumni weekend where a plaque was dedicated to a beloved teacher, Ed Stone, alumni came together to sing the Kimberton Farms School song. It was a very moving moment.